Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby

BarnesandNoble.com
I don't know about you but sometimes I have bad feelings for books I read in school. I wonder if I didn't like them more because I was forced to read them then I didn't like the plot or the way it was written.  And so every once in awhile I'll re-pickup a classic or a book I read in school and see if my perspective has changed since I'm older or am reading it for pleasure and not for school or a grade or a test.

I am currently reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and I'm loving the plot, the era, and the book itself much more then I did in my high school English class.  The over abundance of the wealthy in Long Island, the lack of responsibility or ownership over one's mistakes or choices, and the ideals and desires that were popular during the jazz age is incredibly interesting, and has a hint of glamour even with all the disfunction. The over all plot focuses on the love story between Gatsby and Daisy. A long lost love that Gatsby fantasized so strongly to the point of perfection. A perfection that Daisy had no hope of living up to, and yet, even when Gatsby realizes this he still, literally, gives up everything for her. Gatsby is a grown-up living in a fantasy life like a child ever fantasizing about the past and never fully accepting of reality and ever alone even with all the people he has surrounded himself with.

What did you think of The Great Gatsby? Did you read it in High School? Do you have


No comments:

Post a Comment