Friday, September 30, 2011

A Picture A Day

A week or so ago I received an email from the very sweet Amanda. Her and her husband were married a few weeks ago and they asked me to create a wedding announcement that illustrates their story and let's all of their friends and family know that they "tied the knot." This has been one of the most fun projects I have worked on. I've been given a lot of freedom and the ideas just keep coming to me. I'm absolutely loving it.

Below are a few examples of the preliminary sketches I've created. They are hand drawn and can best be described as stream of consciousness drawing. Sometimes it's easiest to just let all the ideas out of your head and onto paper inorder to see the good from the bad. And, in this case, that was exactly what I needed.




From all of the sketches I chose my favorite ones and started to work on them in Adobe Illustrator. I've added color and more detail and refined some of the layouts. Then I played with the layout of the announcement itself and tried to figure out the best way to incorporate the words and images to best tell the story. I then created mini mock-ups of the final designs so that I could get a feel of what it would be like to open them in the mail and what adjustments need to be made to make them just right. In total I have four layouts/mock-ups that I'm very excited about. Amanda and her husband haven't seen them yet, but I can't wait to send the designs to them.

For now, enjoy the sketches and I will show you the rest of the process and the creation over the next few weeks.

Happy Friday Sweets!
xo

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible idea!! A hand drawn story of their love story! I love it - and that's so incredible that you're such an artist. I struggle with stick figures. ;) Can't wait to see what comes next in your design of this project.

    ReplyDelete