Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Currently Reading: Breakfast at Tiffany's



For the longest time breakfast at Tiffany's has been a favorite movie of mine. I have always loved the glamorous costumes and silly character of Holly Golightly. I was even her one year for halloween in my black dress and dripping with jewelry. And so, I figured after years of idolizing Holly Golightly and all things Hepburn it was time to read the book.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first started reading this. Was I going to feel like I needed to be back in high school English class discussing the chapter I read each night? But I have to tell you, it's a great book. Slightly different from the movie but only slightly and I'm flying through the pages. I'm hoping that by the end of the story I'll understand the characters better and really see depth in them that I might have missed in the movie, and I'm trying not to picture the characters as they were in the movie but see them the way that Truman Capote would have wanted them. That's been a little bit of a challenge, especially when lines of text are the exact same as lines in the movie, but I'm trying. Something I'm really liking about the book is the description of the other characters in the books, some are given a larger role, and some the role is completely different but it adds complexity to the story line as well as serves as another way to understand Holly. Overall great read so far.

Has anyone else read Breakfast at Tiffany's? What did you think? And if you haven't, I have to say I highly recommend it, especially if you are as big of a fan of the movie as I am!!


No comments:

Post a Comment