Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sweet Musings Book Club

Get it Here!

I really liked this book, Becoming Marie Antoinette by Juliet Grey. It was a slow read at first, and took me a little while to get into. There was so much detail of her time as a child, so many specifics of her preparation in order to become the next Dauphine and I was just so focused on all of the detail that I didn't really read more then a few pages at a time. Normally this would be a bad thing but there was something about this book that I needed to keep reading and I'm so glad I did. 

In other books and movies Marie Antoinette is usually portrayed in a very negative fashion. She always seems vapid and shallow and ditzy even. This book was so interesting because you saw the innocent and naive child before she became a ruler. You felt so much sympathy toward her and Louis and all of the obstacles they faced in this book as well as what you know happens after the book ends. And while this book was fiction many of the events and the letters and all of the people are real. In reading this, the adults in her life were extremely critical and at times harsh and manipulating to her as well as the Dauphin. When they are married they are both so young and under so much pressure. They have zero control over their lives and are used as pawns by the various adults who desire power. They were kept in the dark on so many political things that you feel so sad for their future. I also liked the point where this book ends, if I don't keep reading the other two books in the trilogy I can almost pretend that these characters weren't real and that they don't suffer like they do later in life. 


As I know I've told you, probably to many times in the past, I love historical fiction. In this book particularly I loved the details of their lives, the fashion, and the aspects of protocol at court. It was fascinating. I can't wait to read the next book of the trilogy Days of Splendor Days of Sorrow!

Has anyone else read this book or this trilogy? I'd love to hear what you think! 





No comments:

Post a Comment